Thrown cigarette may be fire cause

    Berne Fire Chief John Crider said this morning that the investigation into the cause of a fire that destroyed a building at the Oakwood Terrace Apartment complex Tuesday, displacing four families, may have been caused by a cigarette.
    Crider stated that the fire began in the northern, upstairs apartment. The occupant told investigators he had thrown a cigarette out of a window, but that it may have blown back in through a crack in the wall.
    Investigators are working to eliminate the possibility of electrical problems in the building, and the investigation will remain open until a definite cause can be determined, according to Crider.

You Might Also Like