From Left Field

    Yeh, the work on 13th St. is a pain in the passing lane. But, as one city official pointed out, we should all be happy for the pain because it is, basically, like repairing potholes.
    In other words, all the bad spots up and down the street — which is US 27, of course — and at the intersections are being repaired. Cracked concrete, pieces of concrete coming loose, salt-caused problems are what's being redone. "Basically, it's patch work, even preventative maintenance," another city official said.
    So in this case, it's better to be inconvenienced than ignored.
    Although it appears that Primco of Fort Wayne crews — which was awarded an Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT) contract — is just cutting out squares of concrete every few feet, the concrete is being taken up wherever there are problem spots.
    The Primco crews are working up and down one lane at a time for traffic control reasons, with all five lanes to be done. Despite the excessive rain — you have noticed, right? — the Primco folks say they're a few days ahead of schedule and figure to be done in about three weeks. A mid-August likely date given at a recent city council meeting was in fact the deadline date for Primco.
    Crews have been working as late as 7:30, 8 o'clock at night.
    The busy thoroughfare was completely redone in 1998-99, so some 12 years later INDOT has chosen to come back to keep the highway up to snuff. Even though using a jackhammer at 5:30 a.m. on the north end of the street, close to Master Drive and Mix Ave., wasn't the greatest of ideas, those who use 13th St. frequently should be pleased for the maintenance.
    "It isn't a railroad crossing," laughed one observer, referring to ... well, people who live around here understand.

    Speaking of the Master-Mix area — as well as N. Second St., N. Fifth and Third, and others up and down the Chicago, Fort Wayne & Eastern (CF&E) tracks — it looks like a long later spring, summer and early autumn ahead.
    Unless one enjoys train whistles. Loud train whistles. Long train whistles. Constant train whistles. Late, late-night train whistles. Train whistles even during severe thunderstorms.
    It's not so bad with windows locked down, but as the weather warms up and the windows come up, the "fun" will be of a much louder note.
    And, hey, we're not talking middle of the day here. More like all hours of the night. You know, that time of the day when some people are sleeping!
    Oh, well, at least they fixed the Washington St. crossing ... after umpteen years ... sort of.

Unique farewell
    Although he doesn't officially step down until at the end of July 31, veteran Deputy Sheriff Terry Nevil is now off duty and unofficially retired, using accrued vacation and comp time to carry him to the end of July.
    His friends on the department found a unique, cool way to send the likable Nevil off into retirement. On the morning of his last day, long before students and faculty had started to arrive, Nevil was dispatched to Adams Central School to investigate an "open door." Upon arriving, he found other department members wishing him well and offering an autographed gift.
     Faux dispatches were repeated a couple of times with similar results, including a "call" to a flower shop where he found a floral retirement gift.
    With 30-plus years on the department, Nevil is said to have served on the Adams County Sheriff's Department longer than any other person.