Kirkland school plaque will go to Adams Central

    Ninety-three years after being placed on an interior wall of the new Kirkland Township High School, the large marble plaque with the names of the school trustee, the advisory board, the Adams County school superintendent, the building architect, and the builders of the school has been removed.
    The plaque will be given to Adams Central Community Schools for display purposes, since the Kirkland Township school district was closed some 60 years ago when it became part of the AC district.
    The school was erected in 1917 at the intersection of County Rds. 300 North and 500 West by the Moon and Annen firm and was designed by Charles Houck.
    The first senior class that graduated from KHS in 1921 contained only seven students.
    Kirkland and the former Hartford Township High School also have the distinctions of possessing two of the three most unusual sports teams nicknames in Adams County history: the Kirkland Kangaroos and the Hartford Gorillas.    
    The third unusual name is the South Adams Starfires, named after an Oldsmobile model.
    In recent years, the old school building and its land were bought by the International Christian Holiness Association (ICHA), which is headquartered in Greenfield, Indiana.
    Local residents with personal connections to Kirkland High School were given the plaque by the ICHA, which plans to tear down the old school, but still use the grounds for religious meetings, camps, etc.

The plaque removed from the Kirkland school says the following:    Kirkland Tp.
    High School
    A.D. 1917
    School trustee
    George M.T. Houck
    Advisory Board
    H.M. Beery
    W.H. Dettinger
    Albert Reppert
    County Supt.
    E.S. Christen
    Charles H. Hauck
    Moon & Annen