Skip to main content

Gov. Ralston dedicated city’s Peace Monument

July 22, 2013

    The Peace Monument is Decatur’s largest public monument and also the first built in the United States to be dedicated to peace.
    It was constructed in 1913 and dedicated on October 30 of that year by Indiana Governor Samuel Ralston.  The memorial was built to honor Adams County veterans that had served in the wars prior to its construction but was dedicated to the peacetime following each conflict.
          The large brass plaques contain 1,276 names of Adams County veterans, five from the War of 1812, eight from the Mexican War, 1,152 from the Civil War and 111 from the Spanish American War.  Additional plaques were added for veterans of the Revolutionary War.
       Further details in today's print and e-editions.

    GAS CITY —  Bellmont took step No. 1 on its mission to win a 10th...
GREAT START, HISTORICAL FINISH—The unlikely group of upstart Braves are seen above at the...
ON TO THE IRISH PITCH— Former Bellmont and University of Saint Francis standout, Sam Meyer...

 

Premium Drupal Themes by Adaptivethemes