June 28th, 2012
Geneva has become the latest Adams County community to ban the use of personal fireworks, joining Decatur and Berne.
The announcement this morning was made by Clerk-Treasurer Bill Warren.
However, the public fireworks display scheduled for Saturday at the town's ball diamond.will be held, the announcement said. The Geneva Volunteer Fire Department will wet down the area prior to the fireworks and be on site during the display, it was noted.
INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — Record-breaking heat is headed to parts of Indiana on Thursday and could combine with low humidity and winds gusting up to 30 mph could combine to create combustible conditions, the National Weather Service says.
MONROE—Hunter Lotter finished a brilliant performance on the mound for the Bank of Geneva Tuesday night in the Monroe Little League tournament at Don Ray Field by working out of a bases loaded situation and the Bankers snared a 9-6 win over the Brickhouse.
Lotter, who got 16 of the 18 Brickie outs via strikeout route, whiffed the final two batters of the game with the sacks loaded. His teammates had just scored four runs in the bottom of the fifth to reclaim the lead in the game.
PERU, Ind. (AP) — Some local officials are trying to prohibit the shooting of fireworks because of Indiana’s drought conditions despite a state law allowing residents to use them for celebrations around the Fourth of July.
About two-thirds of Indiana’s 92 counties have issued open burning bans as of Tuesday after weeks of little or no rainfall, with tinder-dry grass and vegetation contributing to numerous field fires around the state that have kept fire departments busy.
The Preble Fire Department responded to a field fire near Magley at 2:16 Tuesday afternoon.
Firefighters were dispatched to an area near the AEP power plant and the old railroad tracks, behind a row of homes in Magley, according to Preble Fire Chief Dan Elzey.
After crews extinguished the blaze, which Elzey said is believed to have started from an unattended trash fire, crews were dispatched approximately an hour later to the same location as the fire had reignited.
Unusually dry conditions in Berne during have led to some exorbitant monthly water bills as homeowners try to keep their lawns and gardens alive.
And members of the city council on Monday agreed to give those heavy users a break.
Clerk-treasurer Gwen Maller reported that utility bills will go out July 1 for May water useage. She noted that "quite a few water bills are pretty high" for the month, including one resident whose monthly water and sewage bill was nearly $800, and another that was $400.
Cheryl Ann Hall, 65, of Richland, Michigan, formerly of Delton, Mich., died unexpectedly Tuesday morning, June 19, 2012, at her residence.
Cheryl, the daughter of the late Howard Dale and Lucile Ruth (Mann) Aspinall, was born November 11, 1946, in Battle Creek, Mich.
She was a graduate of Delton High School and had been the manager for the Richland Country Apartment Complex of Richland.
Adams Central's traveling senior league team, sponsored by Kintz Insurance, traveled to the Wahoo Frenzy in Wabash, Indiana last week and came home hoisting the gold.
The tournament featured 16 high school teams including regional teams like Bellmont, Homestead, Garrett, Bluffton, Mishawaka, West Noble, and Plymouth.
One hundred fourteen people recently participated in the ninth annual Monroe Lions Club 5K Run/Walk held in Monroe on Saturday, June 2, 2012. Denise Conrad, 50, from Decatur was the women’s overall winner with a time of 19:44.3. Doug Schwartz, 40, from Decatur was the men’s overall winner with a time of 17:31.5. First place medals were awarded to the following in each division.
WOMEN’S FIRST PLACE WINNERS
The City of Decatur is banning the use of personal (private) fireworks this year until the current dry conditions ease, Mayor John Schultz said Monday afternoon. Berne has already imposed a fireworks ban.
The period in which it is legal to use fireworks in Decatur opens Friday and continues through the Fourth of July, but that is now negated.
Adams County instituted a ban on open burning a week ago.