Archive - News Article
August 14th, 2012
Berne City Council on Monday evening approved the city's first water rate hike in more than 30 years. Following a lengthy discussion the panel agreed to an increase which will boost the average customer's monthly water bill by nearly $8.50.
Clerk-treasurer Gwen Maller said residents of the city of Berne have not experienced an increase in water rates since 1980. The last time water utility rates in the city were adjusted was 2000, and on that occasion the rates were reduced, Maller said.
Berne city officials have reduced their proposed fee increase for rural fire protection services in 2013, but did not agree to a request from trustees in southern Adams County townships to leave the fire protection costs at 2012 levels.
Berne had submitted to the townships a 3.5 percent increase in fire service charges for 2013, after several years of imposing a 5 percent annual hike. But the township officials balked at the proposed increase.
Embattled South Adams Athletic Director Mike Pries confirmed this morning that he has resigned his position.
Pries, who survived a 3-2 vote of the school board two years ago after then-superintendent Cathy Egolf attempted to have him fired, recently was highlighted when it was learned Paul David Baker, 48, a friend of Pries, was a SA volunteer girls basketball coach who was required to register as a sexually violent predator.
Adams County Clerk Gayla Reinhart has announced that those interested in becoming a candidate for any of the three public school boards in Adams County has until noon on August 24 to file an application.
Forms are available Monday-Friday from 8 a.m.-4 p.m., at the clerk’s office in the courthouse.
At this time, Reinhart said, only two individuals, Derek Vrablic and Robert (Bob) Thomas, have filed for seats, both for a North Adams board seat from District One.
Cam Collier, grants committee member of the Adams County Community Foundation, has announced that a grant check was recently awarded to the Decatur Sculpture Walk Committee to help provide funding to help support the first outside art gallery in Decatur.
(EDITOR'S NOTE: In the newspaper's Friday print edition we have an incorrect photo of the house involved. We apologize for any confusion this may cause and a photo of the correct home, seen here, will be in Saturday's edition.)
A family of four people and several animals were removed from a flea-infested Decatur home on Thursday morning by police, city and health department officials.
Volunteer fire departments in Preble and Hoagland are among rural fire departments in 39 counties across Indiana to share in $242,000 in Volunteer Fire Assistance (VFA) grants.
The grants are administered by the Indiana Department of Natural Resources' (DNR) Division of Forestry Fire Control Headquarters and are made available through the United States Department of Agriculture's Forest Service.
Geneva's volunteer firefighters continued their training last month, according to a report by Fire Chief John Patch at Tuesday's meeting of the Geneva Town Council.
Patch said that the department recently attended haz-mat training in addition to Rapid Intervention Team (RIT) training. RIT, explained Patch, is training for working structure fires in the event that someone gets trapped or runs out of air. All fire stations in the county are doing the training, as required by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration.
As expected, Decatur City Council, at its meeting this week, approved via a confirming resolution a 10-year tax abatement on a warehouse which Knous Enterprises LLC of Decatur will improve for its affiliate, P&B Trucking.
The request had been presented at the previous meeting by Portland attorney John Coldren, representing owners Robert and Pam Knous of Decatur.
The second major fire in downtown Monroeville in less than five weeks has left four people homeless and two businesses damaged.
The most severe damage in the Tuesday morning fire was suffered by Monroeville Liquors, which is considered a total loss. The next-door Pizza Gallery, at the corner of Main and E. South St., suffered some minor smoke damage but was expected to reopen, perhaps today.
Four apartments above the pizza place were evacuated and the tenants will not be returning.