Archive - Oct 18, 2010
MARION — Both the Bellmont boys and girls cross country teams competed well Saturday at the Marion CC Regionals, and both finished in eighth place, three places short of qualifying for semistate action.
South Adams did better as both teams made it out, qualifying fourth in both races. Hannah Moore finished sixth in the girls race with a 19:17. Eric Isch led the boys with a 9th-pace finish in 16:06 for the Stars.
Bellmont held off a solid Wapahani squad, winning 25-23 in the first game, then taking the next two, 25-17, 25-20, to complete a 29-4 regular season.
The Squaws also downed Wes-Del in three (23, 17, 20) in the earlier match Saturday. Adams Central fell to both Wes-Del and Wapahani in the other two matches at the Bellmont Quad.
"Wes-Del was undersized, but definitely did a nice job against us," stated BHS coach Craig Krull.
Carolyn J. Brock, 76, of Decatur, died Friday at home.
She was born to Theodore A. and Agnes I. Gaskill Waltmire.
Among survivors are three sons, Roger L. Everett of Bluffton, Ronald A. Everett of Berne, and Robert E. Everett of Decatur; one brother, Russell E. Waltmire of Decatur; and three sisters, including Connie Goedde of Convoy, Ohio.
Funeral services were held today, with burial in Mt. Tabor Cemetery, rural Decatur.
Rodney K. Lantz, 65, of Fort Wayne, a former Berne resident, died Saturday in Parkview Hospital in Fort Wayne.
He was born in Adams County on February 11, 1945, to Earl and Pauline Archbold Lantz, who are deceased.
Among survivors are his wife, Jeanie, and two sisters, Mona Windmiller of Fort Wayne and Mrs. Dale (Carol) Hirschy of Gilford, New Hampshire.
Rick D. Voreis, 49, Decatur, died Sunday in Adams Memorial Hospital.
Funeral arrangements are pending at Haggard and Sefton Funeral Home, Decatur.
By Christmas, the northern expansion of Adams Central School at Monroe is planned to be finished and ready for use, so the rest of a $10 million construction and remodeling project can be completed by the fall of 2011.
The north end enlargement will include offices for the high school and middle school, a few classrooms, restrooms, and a hallway.
A Settlers Monument paying homage to Anabaptist immigrants from Switzerland who settled in Berne in 1852 was unveiled Sunday during dedication ceremonies at the Muensterberg Plaza and clock tower site.
The six-foot-tall limestone carving — perched on a 12-foot base — depicts a man with his hands outstretched and a woman holding a baby. They are dressed in attire which would have been common in the 1850s.